People have long searched for a safe remedy to treat the symptoms associated with hemorrhoids, including irritated, swollen veins, which can make sitting Hemorrhoids are inflamed blood vessels in the lower rectum and anus. Risk factors include constipation, diarrhea, and obesity. After finding no cure for her debilitating hemorrhoids, this mum says CBD was the miracle she needed.
CBD Products Can Treat and Improve Hemorrhoid Symptoms
People have long searched for a safe remedy to treat the symptoms associated with hemorrhoids, including irritated, swollen veins, which can make sitting down painful and uncomfortable. Approximately 50 percent of adults over the age of 50 have hemorrhoids, which can be treatable with over-the-counter, at-home remedies. Research suggests CBD, including Swissx’s natural, unique blend of CBD plants, can help ease the pain and inflammation that are associated with hemorrhoids.
CBD is an effective treatment for people who have persistent hemorrhoid symptoms when it’s used topically, as it acts as an analgesic. Products with CBD also have significant regenerative effects, as well as antioxidant and regenerative qualities.
Through its interaction with the endocannabinoid system (ECS), CBD helps improve hemorrhoid symptoms. The ECS is a network of receptors that’s responsible for maintaining the body’s homeostasis, and helps regulate such functions as pain, immune function and stress.
CBD is known to open receptors in the body that help the ECS function. As a result, CBD can help with several processes, including reducing pain and inflammation.
Studies also suggest that, when ingested, CBD also has the additional benefit of stabilizing people’s moods. Promoting a calm sense of well-being helps ease the anxiety that’s often associated with hemorrhoids.
Using Swissx CBD to treat chronic skin conditions doesn’t lead to adverse health effects. In an assessment on CBD, the World Health Organization (WHO) noted that CBD is generally well tolerated, and doesn’t show any indicators of potential for abuse or dependence.
One of the most highly effective forms of CBD to use in order to help treat symptoms of hemorrhoids is hemp oil, of which Swissx sells several forms in diverse lotions. One such product is the Pain Relief CBD Lotion. The premium quality lotion is infused with premium Swiss Cannabis extract, and enriched with a unique fusion of all-natural ingredients. Swissx Pain Relief Lotion naturally soothes inflamed tissues. It’s sold in 4oz and 6oz, and retails for $40 and $50, respectively.
Another one of Swissx’s most highly effective forms of CBD to use in order to help treat hemorrhoids is its Pride CBD Lotion. The product is a premium quality body and skincare lotion that features premium Swiss Cannabis Extract, and is enriched with a unique fusion of all-natural ingredients. The Pride Lotion also naturally soothes inflamed muscle tissues safely without any harmful chemical agents. It’s sold in 4oz and 6oz, and retails for $15 and $30, respectively.
For people who prefer to ingest CBD drops instead of use lotions, the Wingra Farms Hemp Extract Tincture is one of Swissx’s most popular, affordable hemp oil products. The drops, which are made from 100% American-grown hemp, are approved by Swissx’s labs. The drops combine all-natural peppermint flavor with the company’s proprietary fast absorption technology to deliver the safest and most effective benefits of CBD.
One serving of Wingra Farms, which is five drops, can be taken orally, day or night. The drops retail for $28 for a 250mg bottle; $35 for a 500mg bottle; and $38 for a 750mg bottle.
Swissx is one of the leading companies in the world that supports affordable and healthy cannabis use. Its CBD products improve the quality of life of people who have genetic predisposition to such ailments as anxiety, depression and insomnia, as well as general physical pain. For more information on Swissx, which was founded and run by Greek billionaire-CEO, Alki David, visit the company’s official website.
In addition to its CBD products, Swissx has also become known for its popular streaming service, Swissx TV. The streaming service enables viewers to watch live and recorded UK and international television shows, movies and music videos in a variety of genres, including news, sports, drama, comedy, horror, lifestyle, shopping, pop, EDM and blues. For more information on Swissx TV, visit the service’s official website.
CBD Oil for Hemorrhoids – August 2022
Hemorrhoids are inflamed blood vessels in the lower rectum and anus. These blood vessels are similar to varicose veins in the legs.
The different types of hemorrhoids include internal, prolapse, and external hemorrhoids .
Hemorrhoids often cause severe pain, itching, bleeding, and inflammation in the anus. Thrombosed hemorrhoids occur when blood clots fill the internal or external hemorrhoids .
Hemorrhoids ’ risk factors include constipation, diarrhea, obesity, anal intercourse , and many more. Management of constipation and diarrhea may help prevent hemorrhoids (7) .
CBD for Inflammation and Pain
The common hemorrhoid treatments are painkillers , such as acetaminophen ( Tylenol ) or non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (Advil).
However, some individuals cannot tolerate the side effects caused by pain relievers . Thus, some people look for alternative options.
Some studies mention how CBD might reduce inflammation and pain.
A study shared by Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management mentioned that CBD has biological activities, such as analgesic, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory (8) .
Another review acknowledged that CBD has anti-inflammatory properties in different conditions, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) (9) .
IBS causes inflammation of the colon’s lining. The inflammation causes severe pain and discomfort.
IBS can also cause hemorrhoids due to repeated bowel movements and straining. Treating IBS can help prevent hemorrhoids (10) .
CBD for Healthy Bowel Movement
A healthy gastrointestinal (GI) motility is essential in maintaining bowel movements . A dysfunctional GI motility can lead to constipation and diarrhea.
The Frontiers in Neuroscience posted a study that mentioned how CBD was able to modulate GI motility in mice models (11) .
An animal study from the Gastrointestinal Motility Society acknowledged that cannabinoids , such as CBD , play an essential role in modulating intestinal secretion (12) .
Further clinical studies are needed to confirm CBD ’s efficacy in regulating human bowel motility.
CBD for Anxiety
A review published by Elsevier demonstrated how individuals with pain conditions might suffer from anxiety (13) .
The authors learned that pain conditions, including arthritis, stomach problems, migraine, and hemorrhoids , are associated with anxiety.
A recent clinical study demonstrated the anxiolytic properties of CBD .
The study conducted CBD treatments on patients with anxiety. The authors shared that anxiety scores were reduced in 79.2% of patients after CBD treatment (14) .
Although more controlled clinical studies are needed to verify its efficacy, the authors acknowledged that CBD might hold therapeutic benefits in treating anxiety.
How CBD Oil Works to Help With Hemorrhoids
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is composed of cannabinoid 1 (CB1) and cannabinoid 2 (CB2) receptors.
These receptors are located in the immune system, central nervous system, peripheral nerves, and organs. The ECS’s function is to modulate biological processes within the body (15) .
Modulating the ECS has therapeutic applications in many health conditions. CB1 can be found in pain circuits in the ECS (16) .
Tetrahydrocannabinol ( THC ) has an affinity for CB1 and CB2 (17) . CBD indirectly interacts with the receptors through modulation of the ECS (18) .
The ECS modulates a variety of gastrointestinal functions. A study mentioned evidence that a dysfunctional ECS might lead to intestinal disorders, like IBS, inflammatory bowel disease, and obesity (19) .
A study provided CBD treatment to patients with ulcerative colitis (UC).
The authors learned through UC biopsies that CBD reduced macrophages by modulating the immune response. This response led to a significant reduction of inflammatory protein expression (20) .
The Pros and Cons of CBD Oil for Hemorrhoids
- CBD has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that may alleviate pain and discomfort caused by hemorrhoids (21) .
- Healthy bowel movements can prevent hemorrhoids (22) . CBD may contribute to regular bowel movement by modulating gastrointestinal motility (23) .
- CBD may reduce anxiety caused by hemorrhoids pain (24) .
- CBD has been acknowledged to have a good safety profile for human consumption (25) .
- CBD may cause diarrhea and make hemorrhoids worse (26) .
- If used in high doses, CBD may cause side effects , such as drowsiness, loss of appetite, dry mouth (27) , and liver injury (28) .
How CBD Oil Compares to Alternative Treatments for Hemorrhoids
Coconut oil is believed to soothe and shrink hemorrhoids (29) . Individuals may apply the oil directly to the affected area or put a few cups in the bath.
A sitz bath with Epsom salt is believed to provide pain relief (30) . Individuals can sit in a warm bath for 15 minutes after a bowel movement .
CBD bath salts are also available for individuals who want to try a sitz bath.
How to Choose the Best CBD Oil for Hemorrhoids
Individuals looking for pain and inflammation relief may opt for full-spectrum CBD or broad-spectrum CBD .
Full-spectrum CBD oil contains all the cannabinoids in hemp plants, such as CBD , cannabigerol (CBG), cannabinol (CBN), and THC (0.3%).
Broad-spectrum CBD oil contains the same cannabinoids as full-spectrum, except for THC .
Some individuals may prefer not to take other cannabinoids . In that case, CBD isolate (pure CBD ) is available.
CBD Dosage for Hemorrhoids
There is no universally accepted dosage for CBD . First-time CBD users may start with a low dose and gradually increase it.
A study recommended to start with less than 1 milligram to 50 milligrams a day (31) .
However, studies have not yet determined the appropriate topical CBD dosing when reducing pain in affected areas .
How to Take CBD Oil for Hemorrhoids
Topical CBD products are ideal for treating hemorrhoids since the concentration does not have to go through the gastrointestinal system.
Individuals experiencing external hemorrhoids may apply CBD topical creams , CBD tinctures or CBD salves to the affected area .
Individuals who are experiencing internal hemorrhoids may also use CBD suppositories .
CBD vape may not be as effective as topical CBD . Vaping may also come with a few side effects , such as chest pains and chemical irritation (32) .
Is CBD Legal?
The legalization of CBD in the United States was signed into law in 2018 (33) . This law allows for the manufacturing, sale, and use of CBD and other hemp-derivatives, such as hemp oil and hempseed oil.
Cannabis products and certain cannabis strains are highly regulated. Medical marijuana or medical cannabis remains a part of the controlled substance list of the Drug Enforcement Agency.
Studies have acknowledged that CBD might help alleviate hemorrhoids symptoms, such as pain and inflammation (34) .
CBD might influence the ECS receptors and modulate the GI system. Therefore, CBD might help in maintaining healthy bowel motility (35) .
Individuals can also prevent hemorrhoids by maintaining a high- fiber diet to promote regular bowel movement .
If hemorrhoids do occur, one must consult with a physician and discuss treatment options before taking CBD .
- DiPatrizio N. V. (2016). Endocannabinoids in the Gut. Cannabis and cannabinoid research, 1(1), 67–77. https://doi.org/10.1089/can.2016.0001
- De Filippis, D., Esposito, G., Cirillo, C., Cipriano, M., De Winter, B. Y., Scuderi, C., Sarnelli, G., Cuomo, R., Steardo, L., De Man, J. G., & Iuvone, T. (2011). Cannabidiol reduces intestinal inflammation through the control of neuroimmune axis. PloS one, 6(12), e28159. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0028159
- Hasenoehrl, C., Taschler, U., Storr, M., & Schicho, R. (2016). The gastrointestinal tract – a central organ of cannabinoid signaling in health and disease. Neurogastroenterology and motility : the official journal of the European Gastrointestinal Motility Society , 28 (12), 1765–1780. https://doi.org/10.1111/nmo.12931
- Russo E. B. (2008). Cannabinoids in the management of difficult to treat pain. Therapeutics and clinical risk management, 4(1), 245–259. https://doi.org/10.2147/tcrm.s1928
- Lachlan McWilliams, Renee D. Goodwin, Brian J. Cox. (2004). Elsevier. Depression and anxiety associated with three pain conditions: results from a nationally representative sample. doi:10.1016/j.pain.2004.06.002
- Shannon, S., Lewis, N., Lee, H., & Hughes, S. (2019). Cannabidiol in Anxiety and Sleep: A Large Case Series. The Permanente journal, 23, 18–041. https://doi.org/10.7812/TPP/18-041
- The Mayo Clinic. Hemorrhoids Overview. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ hemorrhoids /symptoms-causes/syc-20360268#:~:text= Hemorrhoids %20are%20swollen%20veins%20in,rectum%2C%20similar%20to%20varicose%20veins.
- Russo E. B. (2008). Op cit.
- Burstein, Sumner. (2015). Cannabidiol ( CBD ) and its analogs: A review of their effects on inflammation. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry. 23. 10.1016/j.bmc.2015.01.059.
- Helvaci, M. R., Algin, M. C., & Kaya, H. (2009). Irritable bowel syndrome and chronic gastritis, hemorrhoid , urolithiasis. The Eurasian journal of medicine, 41(3), 158–161.
- Viola Brugnatelli, Fabio Turco, Ulderico Freo and Gastone Zanette., (2020)., Frontiers of Neuroscience., Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Manipulating the Endocannabinoid System as First-Line Treatment., https://doi.org/10.3389/fnins.2020.00371
- Hasenoehrl, C., (2016). Op cit.
- Lachlan McWilliams, (2004). Op cit.
- Shannon, S., (2019). Op cit.
- Khan, M. I., Sobocińska, A. A., Czarnecka, A. M., Król, M., Botta, B., & Szczylik, C. (2016). The Therapeutic Aspects of the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) for Cancer and their Development: From Nature to Laboratory. Current pharmaceutical design, 22(12), 1756–1766. https://doi.org/10.2174/1381612822666151211094901
- Manzanares, J., Julian, M., & Carrascosa, A. (2006). Role of the cannabinoid system in pain control and therapeutic implications for the management of acute and chronic pain episodes. Current neuropharmacology, 4(3), 239–257. https://doi.org/10.2174/157015906778019527
- de Filippis, D., (2008). Op cit.
- DiPatrizio N. V. (2016). Endocannabinoids in the Gut. Cannabis andcannabinoidresearch , 1 (1), 67–77. https://doi.org/10.1089/can.2016.0001
- de Filippis, D., (2008). Op cit.
- Russo E. B. (2008). Op cit.
- The Mayo Clinic. Hemorrhoids Overview. Op cit.
- Viola Brugnatelli, (2020). Op cit.
- Shannon, S., (2019). Op cit.
- Iffland, K., & Grotenhermen, F. (2017). An Update on Safety and Side Effects of Cannabidiol: A Review of Clinical Data and Relevant Animal Studies. Cannabis and cannabinoid research , 2 (1), 139–154. https://doi.org/10.1089/can.2016.0034
- Bauer, B. (2018, Dec 20). What are the benefits of CBD — and is it safe to use? Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/is- cbd -safe-and-effective/faq-20446700
- FDA. What You Need to Know (And What We’re Working to Find Out) About Products Containing Cannabis or Cannabis-derived Compounds, Including CBD . Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/what-you-need-know-and-what-were-working-find-out-about-products-containing-cannabis-or-cannabis
- Intahphuak, S., Khonsung, P., & Panthong, A. (2010). Anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antipyretic activities of virgin coconut oil. Pharmaceutical biology , 48 (2), 151–157. https://doi.org/10.3109/13880200903062614
- Abd-Elmaged, Asmaa & Abdelmowla, Rasha & El-Rahim, Tarik. (2018). Effects of Warm Water Sitz Bath on Post-Hemorrhoidectomy Symptoms. 7. 57-65. 10.9790/1959-0706045765.
- Millar, S. A., Stone, N. L., Bellman, Z. D., Yates, A. S., England, T. J., & O’Sullivan, S. E. (2019). A systematic review of cannabidiol dosing in clinical populations. British journal of clinical pharmacology, 85(9), 1888–1900. https://doi.org/10.1111/bcp.14038
- Shmerling, R.H., Can Vaping Damage Your Lungs? (2019)., Retrieved from https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can- vaping -damage-your-lungs-what-we-do-and-dont-know-2019090417734
- The 2018 United States farm bill. Retrieved from https://www.usda.gov/farmbill
- Russo E. B. (2008). Op cit.
- Hasenoehrl, C., (2016). Op cit.
CBD Clinicals is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
New mum says CBD ‘saved her butt’ and cured her of piles
Although plenty of research still needs to be done on the efficacy of cannabinoids on illnesses and ailments, a vast amount of those who use CBD do so to alleviate symptoms (41% according to a recent survey).
A brand new one, however, is using the cannabis-derived product to relieve piles.
One mum shared on Reddit that it had ‘saved her butt’ after she gave birth and suffered with severe hemorrhoids. From there, plenty more people have been saying the same thing.
The new parent explained how she suffered with piles following the birth of her baby until discovering CBD, in post titled ‘CBD Saved My Butt (literally)’.
Fear of a match getting the ick? How to navigate voice notes on dating apps
TV presenter Maddie Moate was dubious about how cheap her first home was but renovated it
All of Queen Elizabeth’s homes where you can leave flowers
In it, she said: ‘I had my first baby in July. 3-4 weeks post-partum, I develop excruciating hemorrhoids (they sure don’t tell you it could happen!).
‘I’ve had them before, little external ones. This was not like that. They were internal and external, the internal one was huge. I did not know such inflammation could occur.’
She goes on to explain the difference after trying CBD: ‘Within 2 days I was able to go to the bathroom without crying. I was in pain, but nothing like the pain-coaster I had been on. The CBD absorbed and actually reached the internal hemorroid. My inflammation began to decrease, as did my pain. I can almost recognise my bottom again.’
The poster used an unscented lotion that had the CBD compound in it, and found what she called ‘sweet heavenly mercy lawdy oh sweet relief’.
Another person replied talking about their own experience of using the oil for hemorrhoids, saying: ‘It was absolutely incredible. I applied it, noticed the inflamed area hurt less within 10 minutes, then went to take a shower about 45 minutes later and when I went to wash (ahem..) back there, all the swelling had gone and I was completely back to normal.’
It’s unclear why and how CBD appears to work this way, and it’s important to ensure you always speak to your doctor before trying anything new rather than simply relying on personal anecdotes.
David Barcly, MD of UK brand CBD Armour says: ‘There have been reports of CBD being a very responsive anti-inflammatory. So one can understand why people would consider using it in this manner. It would be beneficial to have some official research into this.’